Thursday, October 30, 2008

Seagram: 1993-2008


Last night, I made the choice with my husband, Greg to say goodbye to our sweet dog Seagram. In the past couple months, Seagram declined significantly from the effects of lymphoma. In addition to failing appetite and intestinal distress, breathing problems and muscular-skeleton issues, the last couple weeks rendered him completely blind in one eye with the other failing fast. This being said, I can officially say that I am a complete disaster as my mind second-guesses my decision. It's difficult to process that yesterday, he was here, and today, he’s gone. Words really can’t describe how sad we are and how much we miss him. Seagram has been around for nearly half my life. He was born in New Orleans sometime in July of 1993 and came into our lives after someone found a litter of puppies in a garbage can and took them to the LASPCA. He was a mess when we got him with gross intestinal parasites and a big spot of ringworm on his back leg. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but think he was adorable after watching him pounce and wrestle with his brother. So Seagram went home with us to 916 Audubon Street, his first home of many. During the New Orleans days, he romped around with his fellow college partner in crime, Champ Bell plotting ways to tip over the garbage can so he could drag the trash to Barrett’s bed or how he could eat an entire tray of brownies sent to me for Valentine’s Day from my Grandma Schutte. He also accompanied us on many hikes, the most memorable one to St. George Island where he was carried 2 miles in Barrrett’s back pack on what later became known as the “Spring Break from Hell.” When he moved back to St. Louis with me in 1998, he was able to become a full time roommate to my childhood dog, Charlie, then living with my mother and my cat from 4th grade named Dusty. Seagram pretty much sealed the deal on Dusty’s moving papers and she decided to adopt our neighbors as her new parents because I guess that she didn’t like to be out-numbered. Then came Suzie and Miles who have been his longest companions yet…Suzie for the last 8 years and Miles for 5. He has spent many a day laying in the sunshine with Suzie (and avoiding Miles) watching the birds and clouds fly by. It’s amazing how he seems to be one of the only dogs that I have known to really take in all of his surroundings. Seagram will be forever remembered for his sensitive nature and for his caring intuition for his humans. He was a very good dog and I am lucky to have been able to have him share in my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Diana, I can't tell you how sorry I am about Seagram. I am sitting at the computer right now having trouble writing due to the tears literally running down my face. I will always remember how he loved to run and roll around in the grass..and that wagging tail of his..he could dust a coffee table with the best of them! I know that this was a terribly difficult decision for you to make but I also know in my heart that it was the right one. He is now able to run and lie in the grass and observe the wonders of heaven.
What a lucky dog Seagram was to have you in his life. I will miss him too!

Love DeeDee

Anonymous said...

i currently work at the louisiana spca and i'm very sorry for your loss. but thank you for giving a dog, who didn't have much of a chance, a wonderful life!

Unknown said...

Hi Diana,
I can only imagine how hard it was to make that decision, but I know you made the right one. It's funny how attached we can get to our 4 legged family members. I cried when I read this and I'm crying again now (and he wasn't even my dog)! Seagram was such a sweetie, and no wonder since you were his mommy.
I miss you so much.
xoxoxo,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Diana,

When Kent lost Tiffany the vet sent us this wonderful poem:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Anonymous said...

Dear Dianee, I wish there was something I could say that would take the pain and sorrow away but I can't, but I will tell you that I know exactly how you feel. I still haven't stopped grieving over losing my Lacey. She slept with me every night and waited at the window until I would come home.Seagram was such a special dog, I loved him like he was my own. I have gotten attached to all of your dogs and just think, Seagram and Charlie are running around playing and having fun. I love you, Dianee, just as much as Seagram did.